Saturday, June 26, 2010

Today's Listen


O.S.I. - Office of Strategic Influence (2003)

What a strange album. With Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) on drums and Jim Matheos (Fates Warning) on guitar, I could only assume this album would be nothing but pure progressive metal, yet half-way through the album I was left scratching my head. Dubbed by numerous websites as a "progressive metal supergroup," I was very excited to begin listening, but what the album turned out to be was something much different. It's tough to describe it, but in terms I know, I would call it experimental rock exploring an electronic sound-scape. This is mostly due to keyboardist Kevin Moore's (ex-Dream Theater) somewhat wild use of effects. Both Matheos' guitar and Portnoy's drums seem to be somewhat restrained, which for me is a bit of a let-down. However, the combination of guest vocalist Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Moore's unique use of effects brings the band together, and by the end I felt satisfied. This is a very strange, and somewhat difficult listen, even for me, but somehow it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Strategic_Influence_%28album%29

No comments:

Post a Comment