Thursday, July 15, 2010

Today's Listen


Ozric Tentacles - Erpland (1990)


This music is insane, and it's exactly what I've been craving. To me, it's a meeting of musical spirits, in the sense that these guys combine numerous styles and sounds to make one hell of a mind-blowing instrumental experience. The music has many layers, and I'll try to describe it: start off with a top-notch group of fusion musicians (a kickin' rhythm section, with a very forward bass presence, crafty guitar), add a heavy dose keyboard/synthesizer effects, and continue rotating between different genre themes (rock, world, ambient, jazz, dance). This all culminates into a brand of music that I have never heard of, nor could I imagine. Many parts are quite trippy and spacey, which allows your imagination to take control. For added emphasis, there are no vocals (always a treat for me), so it's very easy to get caught in a trance during the spacey sections, but only until there's a shift in sound that sends you plummeting back to full awareness. To sum it all up, it's a blissful journey.

I've been looking through their extensive discography, and it's evident that these guys make very similar recordings. Find their best few albums and you have all you need.


No comments:

Post a Comment